Re: [tree-ssa] Debugging information issue.

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004, Andrew MacLeod wrote:

> It has been brought up before, but I'm about to make it more of an
> issue.
>
> We need a way to associate a variable for debugging purposes with a
> different variable.
>
> A simplistic example is when we make a temporary variable T.5 which we
> happen to know is really the value of variable 'a', it would be nice if
> the debugger knew this too, and could report the value of T.5 when asked
> for 'a'.
>

> Its pretty trivial for me to mark 'a.1' as really being 'a' when I
> create it, but I am not aware of a way to communicate that to the debug
> generator.
>
> I was thinking we could put an optional debug_info decl node on decls.
> When we go to generate debug info, we could simply use relevant part of
> the debug_decl instead of the real decl when its present.

I suggested exactly that in a bug on debug info + tree-ssa, after
mentioning it on IRC (Diego told me to throw it on the bug). The bug
number eludes me at the moment.

It seems to be the right thing to do. It's effectively a multimap of
aliases to the original variables, which is what we want.

For dwarf2, we can probably generate tree-level location lists with this
info with a little work, or *something*.

Certainly, we shouldn't need more info that this to generate the debug
info, AFAIK.
--Dan