Register objects question

I'm looking to create some rtl statements that reference registers, but it is my understanding that registers, as objects, are unique and stored in the regno_reg_rtx[] array. If that is the case, then why does regno_reg_rtx[] return a different rtl address than that used (as is evident when I print the rtl list)? How do I access the register object actually being used in the rtl? Am I fundamentally misunderstanding the storage of these things?

Jared Buttles
Research Associate, Cylant Inc.
www.cylant.com