This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |
| Other format: | [Raw text] | |
On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 02:10:13PM -0500, Paul Koning wrote:Joe> Consider a, b, and c as single precision floating point values, Joe> and a=1, b=-1, c=1.2345e-8. (a+b)+c will compute as 1.2345e-8. Joe> a+(b+c) will return zero, as will (a+c)+b.
I don't have a C standard, but my copy of Harbison & Steele says what I expected about parentheses: "Parentheses do not necessarily force a particular evaluation order".
This was true of K&R C, but I seem to recall that the standards committee
changed that. Any standards gurus out there care to comment?
| Index Nav: | [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index] | |
|---|---|---|
| Message Nav: | [Date Prev] [Date Next] | [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] |