GCC Status Report (2004-03-21)

GCC 3.4
=======

If you are in the to-list for this email, I'm hoping that you'll be
able to help with a critical GCC 3.4 problem.

There are now 14 regressions targeted at 3.4.0, which is a substantial
improvement from the 48 as of March 9th.  Some of these have patches
which have been approved for 3.4, but not yet checked in.  So, the
real number is more like 8 or 9.

Some of that is due to retargeting bugs at later releases, but a lot
of it is due to important bugs being fixed. Yay!

Here are the two biggest issues remaining for the 3.4.0 release:

* Benjamin has indicated that he wants to make changes to the V3 ABI
  to future-proof it for changes that have already been made on th
  emainline.  We're waiting for those changes to be completed.

* Eric and I are iterating on fixes for the RTX_UNCHANGING_P
  code-generation problems.

Here is a list of people who I am hoping will help by looking at one
or two remaining GCC 3.4 PRs, which are still very important, although
somewhat secondary compared to the two items mentioned above.

* Jakub Jelinek

  PR 14069 is a case where we go into an infinite loop on invalid
  code.  I asked you to look at this PR on 2004-02-28; do you have any
  news?

* Jason Merill

  PR 13294 is an issue with __attribute__((strong)) for namespaces.
  I'm not sure whether this is really a bug, or not, but since
  Benjamin is striving for library ABI compatibility, we need to know
  one way or the other.  Would you please take a look?

* Richard Henderson

  PR 11527 is a designated initializer problem, apparently relating to
  one of your patches.  Any news?

  Also, would you please review Eric's patch for 13985, which is here:

  Please update the PR with your thoughts.

* Jan Hubicka

  PR 13974 relates to cases where GCC 3.4 emits bad debugging
  information.  This is an important PR because it's going to affect
  people's ability to use GCC 3.4 for development.  From looking at
  the PR, it looks like you and Dan Jacobowitz have reached some kind
  of consensus, and on 2004-03-14 you indicated you'd have patch
  "Monday or Tuesday".  Is that patch available?  Has Dan looked it
  over and confirmed it fixes the problem?

* David Billinghurst

  PR 14207 is a problem with building with an o32 multilib in GCC 3.4.
  Can you confirm that this problem have been fixed in GCC 3.4?

Reiterating from last time:

Henceforth, please do not make any non-documentation check-ins to the
3.4 branch without my explicit approval.  To get that approval, please
do *not* send me mail directly.  Instead, add your patch to the
relevant PR, which must be targeted at 3.r, and add me to the CC list
for the PR.  Note that this procedure implies that if there is no PR
targeted at 3.4 I will not accept the patch.

Furthermore, please do not create any new PRs targeted for 3.4 without
my explicit permission.  If it's a regression, target it for 3.4.1.
If you think it might need to be fixed in 3.4, add me to the CC list,
and add a note asking me to move back the target.  Please do not do
this unless the PR is wrong-code, ICE-on-valid, or bootstrap for a
primary target.  New PRs referring to other categories of error are
simply not going to get fixed for 3.4.

GCC 3.5
=======

In a holding pattern until tree-ssa merge is complete.