Re: PATCH RFC: Remove fork from collect2

Dale Johannesen <dalej@apple.com> writes:

> However, as I said, I don't think that's a general solution to the
> problem.
> Indeed, any solution that makes use of the fact that Apple's system
> compiler happens to be gcc is not the right approach IMO.

I don't think it's a general problem.  What's odd here is that the
system compiler is requiring a library which gcc doesn't link against.
That is uncommon.  Usually we just make gcc link against the
appropriate libraries, by putting them in LIB_SPEC.

> What's wrong with building libiberty on each pass through the bootstrap?
> That would solve the general problem, and that library builds very
> quickly.

I see nothing wrong with this.  It's just tedious to implement.  The
bootstrap operation currently executes entirely within the gcc
directory.

Ian