Re: Anonymous types and [basic.link] for nonlocal variables

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 12:00:30PM -0800, Mike Stump wrote:
> On Monday, March 15, 2004, at 06:46 PM, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > Mike Stump <mrs@apple.com> writes:
> >
> >> Having said that, this is what pedwarn and/or permissive are for.  The
> >> original patch had pedwarns in it, so I'm wondering how exactly things
> >> broke.
> >
> > The C++ front end has -pedantic-errors on by default.  I think this is
> > wrong, but there are certain people who vocally insist otherwise.
>
> :-)  Oh, yeah, that change...  Well, that means we want to break things
> like QT more aggressively, doesn't it.  Or, we could introduce the
> no_really_pedwarn () function.  :-)

I didn't appreciate when I sent the original message that we were talking
about the dreaded cast-as-lvalue extension, which really messes up C++
because it changes the type of cast expressions, which breaks overloading.
If that's the issue, feel free to break QT if they rely on it.