Re: Building collect2 for C?

On Tuesday, March 16, 2004, at 12:36 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:
The right fix is to fold the entirety of collect2 into, gosh, where
was it supposed to go, oh, yeah, gcc as I recall.

Not the linker?

We don't own the linker. We do own gcc.c. There isn't a required linker standard that is implemented that everyone follows that we can attach to.

We can contemplate proposals that feature things like a byte code engine in the linker that does that the compiler tells it to do and try and push something like thart out, much like dwarf2 is that for debugging information, but, that is more advanced than I suspect we are likely to see in the short to near term.

gcc is the existing logical place. Remember, the only reason it was ever separate was so that we could call it ld, and have gcc find it or the real ld, and the rest was invisible, well, right until we got -debug and thinks like it and we wanted arguments to collect2 and so on... Anyway, we've long since given up on it being called ld.