Re: GCC viciously beaten by ICC in trig test!

Scott Robert Ladd <coyote@coyotegulch.com> writes:

| Gabriel Dos Reis wrote:
| > This is a tricky issue. Some standards (e.g. POSIX) make conflicting
| > requirements to that of ISO C standard, and as a matter of fact
| > demand that the C standard headers be modified.  If GCC/gcc had to
| > come with its own C headers, then it would have to implement those
| > standards too -- in order to comply with user expectations.
| > That is a mess and GCC has better not drive into that.
|
| Perhaps GCC could provide a clean ISO C library that is enabled with
| the -std=c99 switch? After all, GCC does include an ISO C++ library,
| and a Fortran 95 library (in tree-ssa).

I don't know.  Surely, that would help V3 but I'm not sure it would be
a global gain.

I don't know the situation for Fortran 95 users, but my experience is
that C++ users find it quite annoying when other standards hijack
C++ standard headers rather than defining new ones for their purposes.
So, the issue there (in C++ land) is radically different from that in C
land.  [First, have C users include standard headers instead of
prototyping "by hand" :-)]

| The compiler could link against the system C library, except when the
| user explicitly declares that they wish to use the GCC-supplied
| library.
|
| I've also noticed a couple of alternative libraries for embedded
| systems (uClib and newlib). I may experiment with these...

Sure.

-- Gaby