Re: Why is my executabel in DOS file format?

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Jim Wilson wrote:

> Meg Abyte wrote:
> >  I have compile the GNU GCC tools for the Motorola MCORE on a RH linux
> > system. However, when I make the executabel (.s19) it produces it in a
> > DOS file format
>
> Gcc produces only assembly output files, and these are unlikely to be in
> the wrong format.
>
> Normally the assembler files are turned into binaries by the
> assembler/linker.  Binaries are not text files, so there isn't an issue
> here about how to end lines of text.  The assembler/linker are in a
> separate package called binutils.
>
> I don't know what you mean by a .s19 executable file.  Whatever tool you
> are using to create the .s19 files is the one that has the problem.
> This is not gcc, and perhaps not even binutils.  Unless perhaps this is
> some kind of hex dump format, in which case binutils could be producing
> it.  Some kinds of hex dumps might default to DOS file format because
> some ROM programmers expect to receive DOS files as input, and won't
> work if fed UNIX files.  In any case, binutils problems should not be
> discussed here.  Try bug-binutils@gnu.org if this is a binutils issue.

The .s19 file is probably a Motorola S-record format file which uses
S1 and S9 lines for data and end-of-file marks.

So basically, he's complaining that the Motorola S-record files produced
by GNU LD use DOS line terminators, which should be discussed on
the binutils list or if he's using cygwin, on the cygwin list.

Toshi