Re: gcc and compiling speed

> Sure, as long as you do timing tests and put it in bugzilla when you do
> it. If you can narrow down classes of slow testcases then you'll be
> helping as opposed to adding to the noise which you are currently doing.

Eric,

On the box where you are right now, what is the speed difference
between gcc2 compiling your kernel, versus gcc3 compiling your kernel.

Since I can bet gcc3 is slower for you, have you submitted detailed
test results for that?

Frankly, as consumers of your compiler we don't have a clue how to
start submitting results like you are suggesting we do.  Clearly it is
not about test cases when we can't find anything faster!

We just see one point of analysis: This new compiler is even more of a
slug than the previous one.

But if you want, keep on ignoring what we point out... I'm sure Redhat
keeps buying you faster machines...