Re: LIBGCC_SPEC

On Tuesday, February 17, 2004, at 04:18 PM, Jim Wilson wrote:
On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 15:46, Matt Austern wrote:
In the case of Darwin, the biggest problem is that -static and
-static-libgcc need to do completely different things.

You still haven't explained what the problem is. You said the output
needs to be different, but you did not say what the difference is, or
why it needs to be different. If this has been explained in another
thread, then just pointing to the other thread is fine. Otherwise, this
is still too abstract.

Alternatively, offer a patch, and then we can see what changes you are
suggesting, and then we might be able to offer useful comments.

Darwin has an existing -static option, that generates code that doesn't use dylib stuff. This option is a multilib style option, you either are all dylib (-dynamic), or all -static. The system doesn't have a -static version of the standard C library, nor and C++ runtime libraries.

The bug that causes the .a version of the EH runtime to not work with dylibs doesn't exist, so we don't need the shared version of libgcc to solve that problem. We would like it to solve the space problem however.

We would like to support options to allow the user to select the .a version of libgcc, or the .dylib version of it. I think we were thinking that -shared-libgcc or -static-libgcc would do this.

-static select _another_ libgcc.a file, the one with the funky codegen.

I think that provides most of the important background bits.