	From: Joerg.Richter@pdv-FS.de [mailto:Joerg.Richter@pdv-FS.de]
	Sent: Fri 2/6/2004 3:36 AM
	To: dje@watson.ibm.com
	Cc: Joe.Buck@synopsys.com; Coulter, Scott; gcc@gcc.gnu.org
	Subject: Re: AIX 5.1 dlopen shared library exception handling problem

	>       According to an analysis in a related bug report, it appears that
	> GCC's assumption about the sorting of FDEs is getting confused by the
	> address ranges of shared libraries used by AIX.  The duplicate symbols
	> cause FDEs for the same symbol to appear in multiple shared libraries.

	Please note that this are two different issues. Duplicate symbols in user
	code can cause uncaught exceptions. But only when they are both the first
	definition in both translation units. I think GCC uses their name to name
	the unwind table or something related. So the unwind information for one
	translation unit is lost.

	I tried to describe the second cause for uncaught exceptions in bug report
	13878. There are no duplicate symbols (in user code) involved. All unwind
	information is still present. But due to the fact that some fdes are shared
	between shared libraries GCC runtime doesn't find the right fde.

	The patch in PR13878 fixes the second issue. Not the first.

	   Joerg