Re: povray: a benchmark with mainline, tree-ssa, and icc

On Jan 17, 2004, at 3:01 PM, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

Hello.

Given some questions posed in the "Contributing tree-ssa to mainline" thread, I decided to run a little benchmark.

The target of the benchmark is povray, a well-known ray-tracing program that is also getting some heavy use in my household at the moment. I pulled fresh source code for version 3.50c from their web site at http://www.povray.org. I used the official povray "benchmark.pov" with the settings in "benchmark.ini".

I ran these tests on a 2.8GHz Pentium 4 (Northwood) with 512MB RAM, under Linux 2.6.0, using mainline and tree-ssa code pulled form CVS mere hours ago. I also included results for Intel C++ 8.0, as a matter of comparison.