Re: anyone know the origin of the word 'insn'

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Marty Hauff wrote:

> I'm in the process of preparing a research paper describing some work I
> have been doing with GCC and would like to satisfy myself as to where
> this name came from?  Does any one know? Is it an acronym, abreviation
> or just someones desire to create a word with one fewer vowel than would
> be necessary for all of us to know how to pronounce it.

We had a discussion of expanding the cryptic "reg" and "insn"
abbreviations in the manual in the conference call to resolve issues with
the manual before the printing of the edition now in press.  But I think
we're still waiting for some of the diffs from this to be fed back to
gcc-patches so that the manual in CVS can reflect the improvements made
for the printed manual.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk