Re: IA64 bootstrap problem for Ada

kenner@vlsi1.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner) writes:

> I was looking into this and have no idea what the intent of the code is.
>
> We seem to have a case where GET_MODE_BITSIZE (XFmode) is 96 bits, but
> GET_MODE_SIZE (XFmode) is 16.  These are inconsistent.

This is a somewhat new thing.  It isn't inconsistent.  It means the
mode has 96 bits of value but takes up 16*BITS_PER_UNIT (128) bits of
storage.  Think TYPE_SIZE versus TYPE_PRECISION.  BImode has been like
this since its invention.  XFmode being like this is new.  Other modes
are likely to take advantage of this in the future.

[Technically the ia64 XFmode only has 80 bits of value.  96 is a
fiction, because other things break if I make it 80.  Expect this to
change in the future.]

zw