This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Unaligned floating point access generation for powerpc
- From: David Edelsohn <dje at watson dot ibm dot com>
- To: Olivier Hainque <hainque at ACT-Europe dot FR>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:21:11 -0400
- Subject: Re: Unaligned floating point access generation for powerpc
>>>>> Olivier Hainque writes:
Olivier> I was not expecting the compiler to produce efficient code :)
Olivier> Still, generating a trap seems a bit too strong an alternative, especially
Olivier> when the target environment may not have a handler to deal with it.
Olivier> Wouldn't there be a way to have inefficient aligned loads and mask and others
Olivier> instead ?
The rs6000 MD already lists SFmode and DFmode as slow unaligned
access. Maybe there are more places in the common parts of the compiler
that need to use that cost metric.