Re: Switching the default for -fabi-version

Allan Sandfeld <linux@sneulv.dk> writes:

| On Wednesday 22 October 2003 10:28, Mark Mitchell wrote:
| > > which are not very clear (may vs. will) and omitting of a reason (in case
| > > of the second warning). So to say, if I can still specify -fabi-version=0
| > > I'm happy with changing. But you could try to make sure you dont break
| > > libstdc++ compatibility with this change?
| >
| > This is the point everyone seems to be missing: libstdc++ compatibility
| > is *already* going to break in GCC 3.4.
| >
| libstdc++ is always breaking, but will it be possible to compile libstdc++
| with the old ABI (and possibly install both)?

You can compile with -fabi-version, but you have to keep in fore that
libstdc++ has bumped its version.

What you cannot do with the new parser is use it to compile past
versions of libstdc++.

I'm under the impression that each time "ABI version" come up, people
get nervous, without actually looking at the nature of the things being
changed.

-- Gaby