Re: Testing m68k changes on AmigaOS and Linux/m68k

Gunther Nikl wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:00:14PM +0200, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:

Hmmm... with regargs, there are no pushes on the stack making things more
complicated.

Why does that make thinks more complicate? I would say its the opposite.

I do agree with you, I've just omitted the punctuation. "making things more complicated" refers to "pushes on the stack", not to "regargs" ;-)

Yes, with framepointer it was ok. I guess that the FP can't be eliminated
because that would change the offset into the frame and tracking that is
probably hard.

The old SAS/C knew how to do that pretty well :-)

SAS/C started to use SP-only with version 6 and they needed several subreleases to squeeze the last bugs out for it to work reliable according to their releasenotes.

Yes, but most compilers weren't that much reliable at the time... code generation bugs were quite ordinary ;-)

It could even inline varargs functions, something that GCC still can't do.
It was pretty useful for inline stubs such as DoMethod() or Printf().

Printf() is handled by a pragma, but indeed DoMethod() can be inlined.

Several years ago I wrote this header file:

http://www.codewiz.org/projects/amiga/Headers/BoopsiStubs.h

I used it in several projects using BOOPSI classes. As you can see,
I had two sets of macros because GCC did not want to inline the
varargs functions.

I wonder if GCC 3.4 would do it...

Could you please post the revised patch to gcc-patches for approval?
GCC's front page still says that 3.4 is in stage 2. If we're lucky we
can still get this in without opening a PR :-)

3.4 is in stage 3. Does that mean that a PR is required now?

I think it's not needed, as long as the patch is not introducing new functionality. Bugfixes, documentation improvements and cleanups are still acceptable in stage 3.

2003-10-21 Gunther Nikl <gni@gecko.de>

	* config/m68k/m68k.c (m68k_compute_frame_layout): swap reg_mask and
	reg_rev_mask computation
	* config/m68k/m68k.c (m68k_output_function_prologue): Fix usage of
	current_frame (one typo and one missing); use reg_rev_mask not
	reg_mask
	* config/m68k/m68k.c (m68k_output_function_epilogue): Fix usage of
	current_frame; use fpu_rev_mask not fpu_mask

A small note: ChangeLog comments should be capitalized and should end with a '.'. Don't worry, I'll fix it when I commit the patch...

Everything else looks fine to me.

\X/  http://www.develer.com/

Please don't send Word attachments - http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html