No basic improvements branch for 3.5 - work on tree-ssa

Last release cycle there was a "basic improvements" branch maintained
throughout the bugfixes-only period.  This took changes suitable for
stage 2, which were merged into 3.4 after 3.3 branched.

I think this was mostly successful, but I'm not going to maintain
another such branch during this release cycle, because it would
increase the amount of work required to bring in the tree-ssa branch
at the beginning of the 3.5 development period.  Instead, I encourage
people to help out with the tree-ssa branch.

zw