RE: win32 features I may add to GCC

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Rupert Wood wrote:
> Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
>
> > > Structured Exception Handling (needed for doing kernel-mode
> > > programming on win32, among other things)
> > One or more patents.
>
> Really? There are plenty of non-MS compilers already (e.g. Borland's,
> Codeplay's, Intel's, etc.) that'll generate Win32 C++ code using the OS's
> standard C++ exceptions and, IIRC, they're SEH exceptions type 0xE06D7363 (E
> for exception, 'msc').

MS having a patent related to SEH doesn't mean absence of other
compilers (huh, apparently).  Supposedly the vendors of those
other compilers have acquired licenses.  Supposedly MS licences
are incompatible with the GPL, but indeeed why suppose?  Maybe
those interested in implementing it should ask MS?

> More likely they have patents in case someone reimplemented SEH verbatim in
> another OS's kernel not to squash a C++ compiler targeting Win32.

IIRC it *was* the compiler.  Still, I don't have the exact PTO
number here.  I think it's uninteresting to speculate over facts
that can supposedly be checked.

> Has there been any official word from MS before? Are you sure this is a
> problem?

I'm sure that patents on compiler technology is a problem for
someone implementing something covered by that patent.

I'll send whatever PTO number I have tomorrow, I don't have it
here.  I'm truly sorry I know about this.

brgds, H-P