Re: mainline "exploding"

> At Tue, 14 Oct 2003 16:47:50 +0000 (UTC), "Zack Weinberg" wrote:
> > Jan Hubicka <jh@suse.cz> writes:
> >
> > > 2) go ahead and enable unit-at-a-time by default for C++ at all levels
> >
> > s/for C++// and I vote for this one.
>
> Bug 12389 has the potential to cause lots of ICEs if turned on by
> default, at least for ... a certain style of code.  (I don't
> particularly like nested functions in C, but a lot of packages,
> including glibc, seem fairly fond of them.)

I will fix such ICEs of course.  I didn't notice this one, but I will
try to fix it today.

> (unit-at-a-time causes glibc to lose in other ways, too, on certain
> platforms at least, but that's not unit-at-a-time's fault.  See
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libc-alpha/2003-10/msg00013.html for
> amusement.)

There is problem with renaming the symbols using asm("...").  The review
of this patch has sucked because we are not able to decide on whether we
want to support all the funny side cases old syntax has or restrict it
in some sane way.  But this will get fixed until official release too
for sure.  I will try to re-open this thread.

Honza