This is the mail archive of the
gcc@gcc.gnu.org
mailing list for the GCC project.
Suggest add to gcc 3.2.3 platform notes?
- From: Peter Butterfield <peter dot b at sbcglobal dot net>
- To: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:51:00 -0700
- Subject: Suggest add to gcc 3.2.3 platform notes?
I just built gcc 3.2.3 (actually just C, not yet C++, java or the others)
on my Sun Ultra-2 running Solaris 7. I have installed Sun's latest
recommended patch cluster for Solaris 7. I followed all the tips I could
in your solaris platform notes shipped with the gcc release.
Here is something else I found in my travails doing the build, which should
perhaps be in those notes:
My /usr/ccs/bin/as is version 5.0 . Using that, I got:
from configure: "checking assembler subsection support... no"
from make bootstrap:
/usr/local/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccBFJ41m.s", line 4764: error: unknown
opcode ".subsection"
/usr/local/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccBFJ41m.s", line 4764: error: statement syntax
/usr/local/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccBFJ41m.s", line 4853: error: unknown
opcode ".previous"
/usr/local/bin/as: "/var/tmp/ccBFJ41m.s", line 4853: error: statement syntax
When I switched to GNU as version 2.13, then it worked. I got:
from configure: "checking assembler subsection support... working
.subsection -1"
and "make bootstrap" gave no errors.
Your platform notes for sparc-sun-solaris2* state that Sun bug 4237974 (a
similar error involving long symbol names) is fixed in later versions (5.x)
of the assembler, starting with Solaris 7. Maybe so, but it still gives
this ".subsection" error.
-- Peter Butterfield