Re: collect2, weak functions and .debug_line section.

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 08:58 AM, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 05:55:24PM +0200, Carlo Wood wrote:
There is a problem with debug information being used
from one object file and the assembly code from another
object file (both containing the "same" function)
that do not completely match, with screwed debug
info as a result.

I am not sure how to report this in GNATS.
What component would this belong to?
Heh - I don't even know which mailinglist this belongs to :/

Does anyone have ideas of how to fix this?

Search the archives for more. I believe that the proper fix is to use ELF section groups, but I don't know much about the details. One of the bodies should be discarded, and its debug info should be discarded als.

I plan to start working on SHT_GROUP COMDAT once I'm done with my current work of enabling vague linkage for Darwin.

Unfortunately, group COMDAT may require some changes in binutils.
It has been implemented in binutils but, without compiler support,
it hasn't really been tested.  There may be some corner cases
that it doesn't quite get right.

--Matt