Re: is there a GCC history anywhere?

Phil Edwards wrote:

On Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 11:46:41AM +0800, Jonathan Wilson wrote:

Something that covers all the events in the history of GCC like the early releases, the first releases with different languages, the EGCS story and so on.

http://gcc.gnu.org/releases.html#timeline http://gcc.gnu.org/steering.html (scroll down)

"GCC: The Complete Reference" may or may not go into the project's history,
I don't know.  It does propose that "GCC is the most important piece of
software in the world," which did wonders for my ego before the caffeine
wore off.  :-)

The real history of GCC would be a little like Daniel Ellsberg's history
of the Vietnam war, the one better known as the Pentagon papers... :-)
Much of GCC's development history is still locked up in non-public
archives - another downside of cathedral-style process.

Stan