Re: Proposed change: weak symbol support for Darwin

On Oct 13, 2003, at 5:46 PM, Andrew Pinski wrote:

How come nobody has complained about the fact that the Darwin compiler has a badly broken C++ implementation? My guess is it's because most people don't use the Darwin compiler for C++; they use the Apple OS X compiler instead, which is based on the GNU Darwin compiler but which also includes Apple's local patches. You see, the Darwin linker does provide this functionality. It's not quite the same as GNU linkonce sections, but it's close enough; Apple calls it coalescing.

Someone has complained, see PR 11026 <http://gcc.gnu.org/PR11026>.
In fact someone at apple complained too, PR11384, <http://gcc.gnu.org/PR11384>.
Just since AIX, and other targets, have the same issue and there is an FAQ about
this problem some where no one has complained that much.

That makes me feel even less guilty than I did about calling this a bug fix.

--Matt