RE: GCC 3.3 - GNU binutils 2.14

If you're planning on building GCC, then just get the generic source tar
file.

We are currently using GCC 3.3.1 on Solaris 2.6 and 8, and it's working
great.  However...  You need to understand that if you plan to build on
both platforms, you need to have GCC built for both platforms, and you
can't mix and match - at least with C++.  For example, you can't build a
C++ library on Solaris 2.6 and then using it when building a C++ program
on Solaris 2.8.  There are symbol name differences due to changes in the
Solaris headers that cause the C++ libraries to be incompatible between
the two versions of Solaris.  In addition, you can't build GCC on
Solaris 2.6 and then compile with that compiler on Solaris 8.  The
reason for this is that when you build GCC, it fixes certain system
header files, and keeps a local copy of the fixed version.  These fixed
versions for Solaris 2.6 cause problems when compiling on Solaris 8,
because the system header files for Solaris 8 have changed since 2.6.

However, if you just want to build stuff that will run on both
platforms, then you just need to do all of your building on Solaris 2.6.
Programs build on Solaris 2.6 will also run fine on Solaris 8.  You just
may miss out on certain Solaris 8 features...

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Lyle Taylor