writing a new backend to gcc

I am thinking about writing a new backend for gcc, targetting
a dataflow architecture that we are currently simulating
using Java.  At a minimum, the first version of the software
will include the four operators nand, true, consume and replicate.
We have also been considering adding additional operators
for sorting.  It looks like our input language will be some
subset of VHDL (probably using GHDL), and we want
to get object files out of gcc that we can load into our simulator.

I would like to open a dialog with gcc folks to see how
possible this is.  I know this is a long ways to go from
the AST to the level our simulator deals with.  I was
hoping to use some VHDL libraries out there to supply
most of the functions necessary.

Is there porter's help manual somewhere?

Thanks,

John