This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
RE: Gcc installation problem
- From: dewar at gnat dot com (Robert Dewar)
- To: dank at kegel dot com, lfei at ecn dot purdue dot edu, mrs at apple dot com
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:57:11 -0400 (EDT)
- Subject: RE: Gcc installation problem
> It's an interesting topic for debate if GNU should be blamed for
> software defects under GPL ---- my personally feeling is yes (at least
> to a certain degree), if GPL takes the credit automatically for GNU,
> shoud it do with responsibilities as well.
This is incomprehensible nonsense, the GPL is a license, it cannot take
credit or responsibilities for anything!
If you acquire software from a third party, you acquire some guarantees
and warranties. If there are defects you have recourse to these warranties.
If you acquire software with no warranty at all (as is the case for many
but not all cases of acquiring software under the GPL), then there is
absolutely no issue of "blame". No warranty means no warranty!