Re: On inlining in C++

Robert Dewar wrote:
Even the mechanism of dispatchinhg calls is completely undefined (and there
are indeed two radically different mechanisms, one of which has no overhead
from multiple inheritance, but costs quite a bit if you use MI). There are
many things in C++ where the programmer has very little control (elaboration
is another example).

Apples and oranges.

Standard C++ includes an "inline" keyword so I can specify that a function should be treated a an expected fashion (if possible). The language also includes the ability to inline functions by declaring them inside the class definition. It seems to me that the existence of those mechanisms implies that a compiler should respect them.

--
Scott Robert Ladd