Re: On inlining in C++

Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> writes:

> [...]
| > |
| > | Well if you really believe that C++ programmers read "official C++
| > | manuals" then you are talking about a different population of programmers
| > | entirely.
| >
| > "The C++ Programming Language" -- ranging from the first edition to
| > the special edition -- by Bjarne Stroustrup is such a document and
| > given the number of sales[1], I think I have pretty good data.
| >
| > [1]http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html
|
| I posit that the average amount read or understood per purchased copy
| of that (excellent) book is nowhere near enough to make informed
| decisions about this topic.

Certainly you don't need to understand the whole book before
understanding what inline is designed for.  Furthermore articles[1]
published regularly for broad public explain most of the key
functionalities, i.e. you don't need to purchase the book before
knowing about inlining and why it is part of the language.

[1] http://www.research.att.com/~bs/papers.html
[2] http://www.research.att.com/~bs/wrapper.pdf

-- Gaby