Re: std::pow implementation

> Sigh.  In C++, the programmer has already done the needed analysis, and
> has attached the keyword "inline" or defined the function in the class
> body.  Certainly, with -O3 the kind of analysis you describe would be
> appropriate, though possibly expensive.

This claim is made repeatedly, but without any evidence. I think a lot of
C++ programmers decide whether to put thins in the class body on the basis
of other considerations than whether to inline -- a consideration that is
pretty hard to do for the great majority of C++ (or Ada for that matter)
programmers who have not the slightest awareness of machine language or
its implications.

I do agree that if the programmer has attached the keyword "inline" then
that shows at least some thought, though whether it is well informed or
not can often be an issue.