[tree-ssa] Java byte compiler status

I've got functions as trees mostly working for the bytecode compiler.
Unfortunately, I have a few test failures.  As far as I can see the
front end isn't doing anything wrong, and when I disable optimizations
on trees these tests pass.  Perhaps I'm generating trees that are
illegal, but I don't think so.  I wonder if this might be some latent
bug in one of the tree optimizers.

Perhaps if I check in the front end changes, some tree-SSA guru can
have a look at the trees produced for the failing test cases and tell
me if I'm doing something wrong.

Andrew.