Re: removing old snapshot CVS tags?

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Are there other tags (or branches) that could possibly be removed as
> well?  We could think about removing whole branches, couldn't we?
> Removing branches could speed up cvs access slightly.

Speed issues (if benchmarks genuinely show they exist) would better be
addressed by improving CVS or a successor (I believe that having published
something, in this case a file revision, we should stay able to reproduce
what we published permanently); snapshot tags at least have a stated
usability issue although that also could be addressed in CVS / cvsweb /
successor (configuration to hide some tags by default).

The branches are discussed on the old list archives and linked to in the
old gcc-cvs archives, and finding when some code or a bug came in can and
does involve tracking back onto a development branch if it reached
mainline with a branch merge.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm@polyomino.org.uk