Moving fixinc to top level?

In the course of attempting to move bootstrap to the top level, the
last hitch I have in doing it cleanly seems to be fixincludes.  It
naturally runs once for each stage, which causes spurious compare
failures eventually.  Obviously, it's only supposed to run once.

I think the correct solution to this is to move fixincludes to the top
level.  This should allow the removal of a fair amount of cruft
regarding cross-compiles versus native compiles as well (or at least its
transfer to the top level); it should incidentally be able to eliminate
the exotic install-no-fixincludes targets in favor of a cleaner way of
doing the same thing.

I'm having some trouble doing this. :-)  I could use some help from
anyone who understands the way fixincludes is built and run currently.
(Bruce Korb? ;-) )

Zack, after this hurdle is passed, I should be able to move bootstrap to
the top level pretty quickly (although getting all the different exotic
bootstrap targets might take a little while).

--
Nathanael Nerode  <neroden at gcc.gnu.org>
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html