Re: What does PWD = $${PWDCMD-pwd} do in make?

> > I don't think there's any reason why we couldn't change this to read
> >
> > PWDCMD = $${PWDCMD-pwd}

The comment immediately above the variable assignment explains why.

But this definitely needs to be changed.  Bootstrapping 3.3 on Solaris
yesterday (actually, most of this week) ran into problems because
constructions like

    cd `${PWD}`/foo

would try to execute "/path/to/builddir" as the backquoted command.

Phil