Re: Stange gcc 3.3 bug

"H. J. Lu" <hjl@lucon.org> writes:

> I have a very strange gcc 3.3 bug on Linux/ia64. At random, I got
> bootstrap failure:
[...]

Interesting bug, but the patch you sent is fixing a non-bug, and one
that could not cause the problem you see even if it were a bug.  You
should be looking at the scheduler or the register allocator.

cpplib in 3.3 relies on documented and standardized behavior of mmap,
which valgrind deliberately does not support because use of it is
usually a bug.  Specifically, the memory between the end of a file
that's been mmapped into memory, and the nearest higher page boundary,
is guaranteed to be zero-filled by the kernel.  (In 3.4 we are no
longer using mmap to read files.)

zw