Re: gettext should not be a builtin

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, DJ Delorie wrote:

> In builtin-attrs.def we have these lines (below).  However, "gettext"
> is a very standard function in DJGPP but it is NOT the usual GNU
> gettext - it has a completely different signature.  Could we please
> remove these entries?

What is the problem caused?  builtin-attrs.def doesn't create built-in
functions and the attributes should be silently ignored if the function
prototype isn't suitable.  (Roger Sayle is moving all the different ways
function names can have properties specified into builtins.def, which
should provide more precise prototype matching in the course of making
gettext into a built-in function.)

Providing default attributes is done in order to work with library
versions that don't have the attributes in the headers.  Glibc only had
the attributes for these functions very briefly: I submitted a patch
adding the attributes, but Ulrich reverted the part adding them to the
functions for which GCC has built-in attributes (which was intended so
that the attributes would still be present with -ansi, when they are
disabled in GCC).  (Revisions 1.19, 1.20 of libc/intl/libintl.h.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk