This is the mail archive of the gcc@gcc.gnu.org mailing list for the GCC project.


Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]
Other format: [Raw text]

Re: Benchmarks


Robert Myers wrote:
I know it's a tease to say it (no time to get a web-site up), but nbench has yielded some interesting surprises about how gcc and icc do on P3 and P4 architectures in the various incarnations of both compilers.

I will look into it.


Relying on the closed source SPEC benchmarks is, well, <expletive deleted>. The open source community needs its own open source benchmarks.

Agreed.


I reject the SPEC benchmarks because of their closed-source nature. In the case of benchmarks (or science, for that matter), closed-source is unacceptable because there is no indepedent verification of methods.

If I can't publish the benchmark source code, I don't use the benchmark. While this may mean that I get piles of e-mail from people who perform their own tests, it also helps verify my own assumptions and methods.

--
Scott Robert Ladd
Coyote Gulch Productions (http://www.coyotegulch.com)



Index Nav: [Date Index] [Subject Index] [Author Index] [Thread Index]
Message Nav: [Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next]