Re: GCC C Compiler producing Microsoft debug format?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, Jim Wilson wrote:

> Venkatesh Ramamurthy wrote:
> > compiler object files (using cygwin). My main issue is
> > the windows debugger understands only PDB format. Is
> > it possible for gcc to produce MS PDB format?
>
> I've never heard of PDB before, and there is no mention of it in the gcc
> or binutils sources, so it is unlikely that there is any compatibility
> support for it.

Yep, PDB is the Program Database format. When I was at Sega we tried to
get documentation from Microsoft on this format so Codescape could read
it.

Basically, we couldn't get any hard documentation on this format, and it
changes from release to release - it's considered a data format internal
to Visual Studio or somesuch. We realized it was a futile effort and gave
up.

Toshi