Re: Old bug: the 14-character limit.

> - As far as we're not too far from 100 (portential tar limit) or 250
> characters (more common limit on modern file systems)
> for files needed during the build, and that includes DJGPP, right?
> (I don't know DJGPP, so I assume there's some distinction
> between build and use once installed.)

Yes.  The thing about DJGPP is it supports two filesystem APIs, "short
file names" (SFN, or 8.3) and "long file names" (LFN).  Not all
Windows OSs provide LFN services, and some DOS systems have LFN
drivers.  In general, though, it's acceptable to require that someone
BUILDING a gnu package make the effort to obtain LFN services.

> - If one wants to install a compiler on a platform, 8+3 name
> uniqueness for all files to be installed is required for the
> compiler to be useable under the DJGPP platform.

Yes, because for USING a gnu package it is unacceptable to require LFN
services.  Dosemu, for example, cannot provide them for a shared linux
partition.