Re: your RESOLVED->CLOSED changes

On Friday, May 23, 2003, at 03:18 AM, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

with these messages. May I ask you to discuss such issues on the main
mailing list before doing it? We (bughunters) are trying to mantain
Sure.

and unmantainable. Moreover, we have bugzilla rights to do such batch
changes without spamming gcc-bugs.
I wasn't actually batching them, you know... I caught at least three
mis-resolved bugs in the process. :-/

I'm not sure why there's no way to poke a bug without flooding gcc-bugs
(or indeed everyone else on the CC list).

Because it gets mail when you close/resolve bugs, and when you add comments, as the posted the email preferences for gcc-bugs stated.
Thus, poking bugs with adding comments will generate mail.

The add comments part is necessary to make sure discussion posted to gcc-bugzilla gets back to the list, and emailing gcc-bugzilla is necessary to make sure discussion gets added to the bug.
The rest is emulating existing behavior, i thought.

 And for that matter, if there
are privileges you have to avoid this that I don't, why that is. :-/
 I've
poked large numbers of bugs in one day in the past as a matter of
routine maintenance, sorting, correcting.

Actually, unless i'm mistaken, they can do it but don't realize how. Mass changes with comments would still send out mail, I *think*. i'm not positive. I can make it not send out mail, but it'll probably take a few tries
to get right. The logic for this part is a bit convoluted.

However, admins can always do it another few ways that you can't:
The trivial way is to edit the gcc-bugs user to have a known password (it's a random string of characters so that nobody screws with it), which requires admin privileges, log in as gcc-bugs, and make the batch changes from gcc-bugs.
gcc-bugs won't get mail about it's own changes (it's a preference, so it can be changed, but shouldn't).

Another way is to temporarily change gcc-bugs email preferences, and then do it from any account, then change them back. I'd rather people not do this, however.