Re: Does gcc violate the ia64 ABI?

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 04:59:28PM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 01:43:17PM -0700, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > 2. Fix gcc and use a bit in ELF header to indicate the ABI change.
> > Linker will make sure no mixed .o/.so files.
> > 3. Fix gcc and use a special empty note section to indicate the ABI
> > change. Linker will make sure no mixed .o/.so files.
>
> Neither of these are viable.  Some other, presumably conforming
> psABI compiler will not emit either of these.

It is a problem for those conforming compilers who have to use
libraries compiled with gcc. We can talk to them and ask them what
they think. If they want to safely optimize the code, they may come
up with something everyone can live with.

> > BTW, Clause 'd' is in my Sept. 2000 copy of the runtime guide. It may
> > have been there for a long time. We must have missed it somehow.
>
> Hardly conclusive.  We need to go back to at least 1998
> to know if someone changed the ABI out from under us.

I have asked. I will let you know what I find out. But it won't
change the unfortunate fact that gcc doesn't conform to the ia64
psABI, which everyone has to live with. I hope we can find some
kind of solution.

H.J.