Re: Libffi problem on darwin (MacOSX)

On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 07:52 Europe/Amsterdam, Andreas Tobler wrote:

Dale Johannesen wrote:
On Friday, May 16, 2003, at 01:55 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
We're using libffi closures in the Objective-C method tables to forward calls from Objective-C to python. This is working fine for basic calls, but gives wrong results when structs are passed. It looks like a mismatch between the compiler and libffi: ffi_closure_helper_DARWIN in libffi_darwin.c seems to assume that structs are passed "by reference" (line 615), while the compiler passes small structs entirely in registers (see assembly code emited by the following C snippet):
I'm not familiar with libffi, but I can confirm that the compiler is doing the
right thing, and it's the same thing it's always done. It looks like ffi_prep_args
and ffi_prep_cif_machdep correctly understand that structs are passed by value, so
this is just a bug in ffi_closure_helper_DARWIN.

Hey great, people are using libffi on darwin-ppc.
And were very glad this is available on darwin-ppc, libffi is a very usefull library.

I guess this is born on my camp. I'll have a look at, as soon as time allows here.
It is possible that I didn't finish the libffi regarding structures since I didn't need it for libjava work. So, you could be right.

I just noticed that this might well be stupidity on my part, I tried to write a minimal program that demonstrates the problem and that runs without problems. Our real code builds ffi_cifs and ffi_closures at runtime, and maybe that code is bogus.

Sorry about the inconvenience,
	Ronald

--- example.c ---
#include "ffi.h"
#include <stdio.h>

struct foobar {
	float a;
	int b;
};

void callee(struct foobar a1, int a2)
{
	printf("%g@%d %d\n", a1.a, a1.b, a2);
}

void stub(ffi_cif* cif, void* resp, void** args, void* userdata)
{
	struct foobar a1;
	int  a2;

	a1 = *(struct foobar*)(args[0]);
	a2 = *(int*)(args[1]);

	callee(a1, a2);
}

int main(void) { ffi_type* foobar_fields[3]; ffi_type foobar_type; ffi_cif cif; ffi_closure cl; ffi_status rv; void* args[4]; ffi_type* arg_types[3]; struct foobar g = { 1.0, 2.0 }; int fourtytwo = 42;

	foobar_type.size = 0;
	foobar_type.alignment = 0;
	foobar_type.type = FFI_TYPE_STRUCT;
	foobar_type.elements = foobar_fields;

	foobar_fields[0] = &ffi_type_float;
	foobar_fields[1] = &ffi_type_sint;
	foobar_fields[2] = NULL;

	arg_types[0] = &foobar_type;
	arg_types[1] = &ffi_type_sint;
	arg_types[2] = NULL;

	rv = ffi_prep_cif(&cif, FFI_DEFAULT_ABI, 2, &ffi_type_void, arg_types);
	if (rv != FFI_OK) {
		printf("ffi cif: %d\n", rv);
		abort();
	}

	printf ("Direct call:");
	callee(g, fourtytwo);

	printf("FFI call:");
	args[0] = &g;
	args[1] = &fourtytwo;
	args[2] = NULL;
	ffi_call(&cif, FFI_FN(callee), NULL, args);

	printf("FFI closure call:");
	rv = ffi_prep_closure(&cl, &cif, stub, NULL);
	if (rv != FFI_OK) {
		printf("ffi cl: %d\n", rv);
		abort();
	}
	((void(*)(struct foobar, int))(&cl))(g, fourtytwo);

	return 0;
}