Re: building a gcc-3.3-prerelease cross-compiler

Hi,

On: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:46:45 -0700,
    Michael Eager <eager@eagercon.com> wrote:

> Thanks, but you miss my point.

Nope - it was only intended as intermediate help or starting-point for
a real FAQ.

> First off, "-C gcc" is not some important missing glue.  It isn't necessary
> and I don't specify this when building a cross compiler.

For the way we setup the cross-build this is needed for gcc-2.95.x and
gcc-3.3.x but not for gcc-3.2.x ... :-(

> Second, it looks like you build glibc using a previously created GCC.  Which

Yes.

> raises two issues:
>  (1) how do you create that version of gcc, and (2) is
> this the same version of gcc that you build later?
>  This is the classic bootstrap
> problem which appears overlooked.

Could you elaborate on the problem that appears to be overlooked?

> There are a number of scripts which describe how someone has built
> cross tools.  They don't tell how to do something different from
> what the script does, nor do the distinguish between what is necessary,
> what is ideosyncratic about an environment, and what "just happens to work".
> Like your scripts, they are terse, with few comments and no explaination.
>
> Your scripts are interesting and I'll take a look.  But shell scripts are not a FAQ.

Sure a real up-to-date FAQ is needed.

Sincerely,
  René Rebe
    - ROCK Linux stable release maintainer