Re: What is the relationship between GCC and Cygnus / Red Hat?

Sorry to trouble you with one more message -- I know how welcome my
contributions are here, but I wanted to expand briefly on two points:

	> There's no obvious good guys or bad guys in that history --
	> but it's _interesting_.  It was a major development in the
	> history of free software.

My perception is that, post the egcs->steering committee transition,
the idea of creating NPOs for project governance of major FOSS
projects has become popular.   I think that the egcs->sc history
helped to bring that about (even though the sc is not itself an NPO).

	> Some of the reasons some people wanted that change were, in
	> fact, related to commercial efforts (AFAICT).

Looking at people's email addresses, it appears that a substantial
subset of the Cygnus GCC hackers have moved on to other companies
where they continue to work on GCC.  I speculate that the shift away
from old-style FSF project management to the sc helped to enable that
mobility.

-t