Re: GCC target-specific extension

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 07:51:00AM +0200, Fabio Alemagna wrote:
> But anyway, if you had to do such a hack, where wouuld you start lokking
> at? The frontend or the backend? (I see you've avoided answering this
> question twice already, let's see if you answer now ;D)

I'd look at the linker.

You're clearly trying to implement shared libraries, only not
in any standard way, for some reason.  You should admit you're
implementing shared libraries and as such it's largely an
assembler/linker problem.  Yes, there's some amount of backend
work, but that's not the bulk of the problem.

You should also look at why you care that deeply.  If it really
is shared libraries you're after, why is the way you're trying
to do it better than what's implemented elsewhere.  Replicating
the mechanisms used by a 20 year old m68k OS for use on some
other cpu is not an interesting reason, IMO.

r~