Re: [Cobolforgcc-devel] Re: GCC front end for COBOL

Keisuke,

My objective is to get a working free cobol compiler. I think by joining up we may be able to get their faster. As you remember I was keen to join up before. You have done a lot of work very quickly, more than me.

Could you send me details of what your compiler does and does not support? That is, what features are present and what features are missing.

Also I will have a look at your compiler and verify if the structure is OK.

Could you give me your phone number and a time I can call you, in a few days time, so we can discuss all this?

By the way, I am visiting Japan in July... maybe we could get togther then.

One thing for you to consider: if you integrate into GCC, you will find that GCC integration takes a lot of ongoing effort. People change things that break your compiler. This will slow you down. I found that keeping up with GCC changes is taking most of my time, not adding features. In my opinion it would be best to target, say, gcc3.3 and then later on upgrade to a later release. This protects you to some extent.

All in all, it may be better to integrate later on, once your compiler is 'function complete'.

Regards,
Tim Josling

Keisuke Nishida wrote:
Hello,

As I talked in the gcc list, I would like to write a COBOL front end
for GCC.  I know there have been lots of discussion and efforts on
this list, and I wonder if we could work together.

I would like to contribute my code to the COBOL for GCC project and
join in if you are comfortable with that.  What do you think?

Thanks,
Keisuke Nishida