Re: GCC warnings for unused global variables

Marc Espie <espie@nerim.net> writes:

[...]

| However, I care deeply about current practices, preferably best.
|
| There are good projects that use -Wall -Werror.

Sure, we do think that -Wall -Werror is good pratice, since we use it
even with our own code source (i.e. GCC itself) and GCC it a good
project (tm).

I think the key issue this:  -Wall gets changed every time with good or
bad motives.  What that switch should do ought to be precisely defined
or else you'll find yourself conducting the same conversation in the
near future.  This has nothing to do with being language lawyer or not.

Good sofwtare practice also include using only relatively well
understood tools.  In this case, you can not tell me that the meaning
ot "-Wall" is clear cut.  If you don't set that issue, my bet is that
in a not too distant future you'll reopen the same debate.

-- Gaby