Re: When is stage 1 scheduled to close for 3.4?

Op do 01-05-2003, om 14:13 schreef Diego Novillo:
> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 08:32:29AM +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:
>
> > Any idea if it's possible to turn off one or two RTL optimizers ;-)?
> >
> This is exactly what I meant by "look at performance".  We are
> obviously not planning a merge the sake of merging.  The merge
> only makes sense if the branch is better than mainline.

The merge would also relieve your job of that >100,000 line merge,
that's a good reason in itself I think.  As long as it doesn't break any
existing stuff... which it doesn't :-)

> At this point, I'm trying to find out what requirements does the
> branch need to meet to be accepted.  Our list includes:
>
> - the usual release criteria,
> - run time time performance no worse or better than mainline
>   (SPEC2k and SPEC95),
> - compile time performance better than mainline (bootstraps and
>   SPEC),

Can you add it as an experimental feature, like the old RTL SSA:
Disabled by default, but people can toy with it.

> Gerald added PR 8361 and there may be other requirements. So, if
> the list is manageable and the timeline reasonable, we may be
> able to include it in 3.4.  But first we need to know when will
> stage1 close.

I was hoping that with so many heads together, a decent development plan
could be developed at the GCC Summit this month.  Maybe there should be
a working group or a separate session for that?

Greetz
Steven