Re: GCC 3.3

On Tuesday, April 29, 2003, at 08:16 AM, Steven Bosscher wrote:
Gerald and others have shown, there is no single patch or a small set of
patches that we can blame the slowdown on; instead GCC consistently
slowed down over a period that spans at least two years: 3.2 was slower
than 3.1, which in turn was slower than 3.0, etc.

For one benchmark we have, between 3.1 and 3.3, there were two patches that caused compile time speed regressions, the second was small and was eventually fixed or worked around with the physmem patch. The first, was a ~30% speed regression in one tiny little patch. This bug remains unfixed on the 3.3 branch.